Saturday 11 February 2012

Story Bridge (2)


This is part of my commute every working day as I cross from the north side of Brisbane to the south, and then return again. Until it's completion it was known as the Jubilee Bridge in honour of King George V, but I don't know that many would ever refer to it by that name. The Story Bridge was designed by Dr JCC Bradfield, the same guy who designed the Sydney Harbour Bridge. It was erected 1935-40 and is unique in that it (I think it still stands) is the largest span metal truss bridge in Australia, and also the only steel bridge designed, fabricated and constructed in Australia by Australians. The road on the bridge is the Bradfield Highway, supposedly the shortest highway in Australia, but as with all statistics, this is debatable. It's just over 1km long.

I'm giving the road a break this weekend because I'm not working. Have a great weekend everyone.

2 comments:

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I like your perspective on this shot Al, draws the eye down through the trusses. How fantastic that it was an Australian construction from beginning to end, I wonder if that can be said of much these days. Have a good weekend too>

AL said...

I doubt if there is very much left that is truly Australian any more. I still get a thrill driving over this every day and looking at the city in ever-changing light.